Front-End Innovation Leader
The Front-end Innovation Leader will be responsible for strengthening and accelerating break-through and long-term innovation providing a substantial revenue and margin potential, and potential of third business leg for Glatfelter.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify new fields of application in adjacent/new market segments with good fit to Glatfelter’s technology portfolio
- Identify new technologies to be combined with Glatfelter’s current technology enabling the development/production of new products
- Evaluate business opportunities by combining Glatfelter materials with other nonwoven materials creating products for new market segments
- Evaluate new fields of application for potential fit to GLT’s technical capabilities (e.g., filtration, packaging, battery separators…)
- Develop innovation network including external institutes, universities, research centers and strategic suppliers providing Glatfelter access to new technologies & applications
- Identify projects targeting new business opportunities beyond the established fields of business and hand them over to the Product Development organization after demonstrating the proof of concept
- Provide support as needed, for identifying and evaluating merger & acquisition targets
- Develop upstream innovation relationship with key customers and key suppliers working on step change opportunities
- Stay abreast of latest external developments and technologies of interest to Glatfelter
- Mentor and educate the broader innovation organization as needed
- Identify and demonstrate proof of concept for new products & applications providing a substantial business opportunity
- Develop Intellectual Property supporting business strategy
- Education – Master’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Polymers Science or Engineering, Chemistry, Material Sciences, Mechanical Engineering, or other engineering discipline. A PhD in in one of these disciplines is highly desirable.
- Experience – Proven track record of taking ideas from proof-of-concept stage to successful commercial products with substantial revenues. Fifteen years of industrial experience, at least 10 of which includes R&D and Innovation process experience with a large manufacturer of advanced engineered materials. Expertise in polymeric materials, cellulosic materials, prototyping tools, analytical tools and developing new test methods. It is highly desirable for candidates to have:
- Technical Background in nonwovens, fibers, coatings, technical films, textiles or specialty papers
- Consumer goods experience
- Experience in filing and analyzing intellectual property
- Change Management – Demonstrated experience accelerating change, and leading/facilitating large-scale change initiatives in one or more parts of a business is required.
- Travel – Multi-site / international travel is required periodically.
Key Competency Areas:
- Creativity and ability/confidence to challenge status quo
- Sense of urgency and results orientation
- Resourceful and creative in finding practical ways to accelerate developing proof of concept and first prototypes
- Communication and skills to tailor information to multiple audiences, including presentations to senior executive leaders
- Willingness to accept contrary ideas and pivot plans as needed
- Hands-on experience with analytical, and microscopic tools
- Experience with statistical and modeling tools
- Financial acumen
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills
This is an exciting hands-on leadership position requiring strong influencing skills, change leadership, and innovation capabilities as part of a global team!
If you are interested in this role, please apply on Glatfelter’s website to be considered. Please do not reach out to executives or individuals directly. Thank you.