General Sales Manager, North America
This role will be remote, location can be anywhere in the US, but will likely be based on Eastern Standard Time. Glatfelter is looking to recruit a General Sales Manager, North America that will play an essential role in developing and executing the group/airlaid sales strategy, while focusing on maintaining the existing customer base, and identifying and pursuing new growth opportunities. The role will be focused on three categories: personal hygiene, table top and wipes. Glatfelter airlaid materials are used in feminine hygiene products (pantyliners, sanitary napkins), adult incontinence (pads), wipes, napkins, and to a lesser extent in baby diapers. The role will serve a broad international spectrum of approximately 20-30 customers varying from multinationals to family owned businesses.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead and direct sales, promotion, and profitability of Glatfelter.
- Lead and execute the acquisition of customer volumes and relationship management within the NA region
- Ensure maximum sales volume at minimum cost and further developing a sales culture based on product quality, productivity, and customer service.
- Analyze financial performance and developing appropriate strategies, tactics and actions to meet business and customer requirements while being mindful of profitability and P&L objectives. Evaluate the results of overall business performance regularly and systematically and reports these results to the Vice President Sales Airlaid Materials.
- Direct the preparation of short-term and long-range plans and budgets based on broad corporate goals and growth objectives.
- Manage a small customer service team, based in Gatineau Canada. Define processes and procedures for customer service, to fulfill customer satisfaction at the highest level.
- Accountable for regional and customer-based sales forecasting and to predict market trends in order to build new business development plans. Accountable for input and participation in regular S&OP process.
- Define requirements and need for post-sales technical support and marketing.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with customers, agencies and Industry Associations to ensure first class customer satisfaction.
- Define customer priorities and align internal operating model to drive business activities that strengthen Glatfelter’s image and relationships.
- Ensure that all department activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and laws governing business operations.
- Provide commercial support on Product and Business developments.
- Business or Engineering Degree; MBA is a plus
- At least 10 years of experience in Marketing, Sales and Key Account Leadership
- Experience with a diverse customer base, from multi-nationals to family owned businesses
- Strong understanding of P&L management
- Strong Market and Sales oriented experience in the hygiene business preferred
- Strong international leadership: Broad leadership skills and authority gained from working within an international business with multi-site manufacturing selling a complex, innovative technical advanced product to various end users with a focus on multi-national blue-chip business as customer base
- Sales acumen: Proven track record as a true sales leader with an international perspective and experience in penetrating the entire value chain of target businesses Strong account management skills and comfortable with leading peer-to-peer discussions within the customer base.
- Top communication skills: Expert communication skills. Immediate impact and influencing skills required to shape and lead a business, able to influence and persuade a diverse stakeholder base across multiple functions and geographies.
- Industry: Leadership track record working within Chemicals, Materials, and/or Industrial Manufacturing. Specific non-woven experience would be a positive attribute.
- Leading and Executing Change: Has led one or more function-wide change management initiatives, including working with others to develop strategies; setting up supporting teams, structures, and processes for implementation; measuring & driving results; and fostering alignment/buy-in of the broader organization.
- Collaborating Cross-Functionally: Success working with and through cross-functional peers to discuss and clarify issues and challenges, overcome differences, establish alignment, mitigate conflict, and build commitment for a common direction.
- Financial Acumen: Track record of using financial indicators to make sound business decisions.
- Strategic Thinking: Sees ahead to future possibilities and translates them into effective operational strategies. Takes a broad view when approaching issues, balancing the customer lens with the organizational lens.
- Balances Stakeholders: Anticipates and balances the needs of diverse constituents and stakeholders, including customers.
- Quality Decision Making: Uses key financial and market indicators and other metrics to make good and timely decisions that balance diverse organizational needs.
- Customer focus: Uses insights into customers and markets to build a customer centric organization that aligns strategies and resources to meet customer needs. Promotes enduring customer relationships and provides solutions that drive value for customers.
- Action and Results Oriented: Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances. Takes on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Executes with Structure, Resourcefulness, and Accountability: Provides direction and delegates authority to the lowest appropriate level. Removing obstacles to get work done and approaches challenges and constraints with resourcefulness.
- Improves and Optimizes Work Processes: Continuously develops new and better ways to drive efficiencies across the organization. People Leadership
- Builds Trusting, Collaborative Relationships: Gains the confidence and trust of others through credibility, honesty, and integrity. Creates a climate where people are motivated to partner together to help the organization achieve its objectives.
- Develops and Engages Talent and Teams: Hires, develops, and manages strong-identify teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Courageous and Resilient: Steps up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said. Rebounds from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
- Manages Ambiguity and Complexity: Operates effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.