Located in Madison, Tennessee, the Maintenance Tech performs, with minimum supervision, routine maintenance, diagnosis and repairs, installation and integration of various types of maintenance and mechanical equipment.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Exercise independent judgment in planning, scheduling, procuring material, and in fabricating, installing, calibrating, testing, adjusting, troubleshooting, repairing and rebuilding equipment, systems or parts with regard to safety, quality and costs.
- Diagnose causes and sources of mechanical failures and initiating corrective action. This includes working with technical, operating and mechanical personnel, and others to safely accomplish the project with in time and budget constraints.
- Document work through the plant’s work order system. Accurately complete all required documentation.
- Obtain thorough knowledge of equipment, specifications, procedures, tools, materials and techniques used in the installation and maintenance of the plant’s equipment.
- Ensures operation of machinery and mechanical equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements on engines, motors, pumps, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems, and production machines; follows diagrams, sketches, operations manuals, manufacturer’s instructions, and engineering specifications; troubleshooting malfunctions.
- Locates sources of problems by observing mechanical devices in operation; listening for problems; using precision measuring and testing instruments.
- Removes defective parts by dismantling devices; using hoists, cranes, and hand and power tools; examining form and texture of parts.
- Determines changes in dimensional requirements of parts by inspecting used parts; using rules, calipers, micrometers, and other measuring instruments.
- Maintains equipment, parts, and supplies inventories y checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed equipment, parts, and supplies; placing and expediting orders; verifying receipt.
- Provides training to other team members as needed and shares maintenance information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintains technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing technical publications; establishing personal networks.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Perform rigging activities, safety-related functions, and other miscellaneous mechanical functions.
- Performs tasks by safely using hand tools, power tools, precision measuring and testing instruments, and powered industrial trucks (i.e. forklift, highlift).
- Fabricates and installs pipe and structural steel in order to install new equipment or repair existing equipment.
- Measures, fabricates, and installs stainless steel, black iron, plastic, copper and galvanized pipe or tubing in order to replace defective piping or install a new system.
- Steam/water/air hose assembly.
- Follow ISO 9001 policies and procedures in the performance and responsibilities outlined in the job description.
- Follow all company environmental, health and safety programs, policies, regulations and requirements.
- Attend monthly safety meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED), plus four (4) years of progressively responsible journey level mechanical experience; OR completion of a two year technical training program in mechanical repair and maintenance AND two (2) years mechanical experience; OR any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
- Mechanical technician certification from an accredited program is a plus.
- Proficient knowledge and experience with maintaining, repairing/rebuilding or troubleshooting to diagnose malfunctioning systems, equipment, motors, apparatus and components using test equipment and hand tools to locate the cause of a breakdown and correct the problem.
- Experience performing a job safety analysis and equipment lockout safety procedures.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of all tools of the trade (i.e., stationary shop equipment, power and hand tools, etc.)
- Basic rigging skills preferred.
- Must be able to safely work at a moderate pace and occasionally work at a rapid pace.
- Ability to multitask, work independently with minimum supervision, work well in a team environment with diverse groups.
- Ability to wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including respirators, safety-toes shoes, safety glasses, hearing protection, gloves, hard hat, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, blue prints, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Good oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to thoroughly understand and follow complex work procedures.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide with units of measure, using whole numbers, common functions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs and trend charts.
- Experience with SAP or equivalent Manufacturing Operations work order software preferred.
- Basic experience with Microsoft Office Suite – Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to understand, learn, and operate process computer systems.
- Demonstrate effective organizational skills in order to document work through the plant’s work order system.
- Good analytical skills necessary to troubleshoot.
- Strong self-starting mind-set.
- Excellent teamwork skills.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Activities: Occasionally required to stand, walk, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, reach overhead and smell. Regularly required to sit, use hands to finger (manual dexterity), handle or feel, and talk or hear.
- Lifting/Exertion: Occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Vision: The vision requirements for this position are close, color, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position frequently works in noisy areas, wet or humid conditions (non-weather); and working near moving mechanical parts.
- Occasionally works in high, precarious places; around fumes or airborne particles; radiation risk (basis weight scanner x-ray); toxic or caustic chemicals (Hydraulics area) and outdoor weather conditions, etc.
- This position is a full time (30+ hours) position that may work an 8 hour day shift with evenings, weekends, and overtime as job duties demand.
- Selected applicants will be required to interview and complete a written maintenance test and demonstrate their skills before being considered for employment.
- Starting Pay: $25.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Overnight shift
If you are interested in this role, please apply on Glatfelter’s website to be considered. Please do not reach out to executives or individuals directly. Thank you.