Maintenance Technician- Pipefitter
Located in Old Hickory, Tennessee, the Maintenance Tech/Pipefitter performs, with minimum supervision, routine maintenance, repairs, and installation of various types of industrial steam and process piping, valves, plumbing, welding, and millwright tasks as needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Candidate must have thorough working knowledge of heavy industrial equipment, approved piping and welding code specifications, common welding procedures, hand tools, mechanical materials and techniques used in the installation and maintenance of industrial equipment.
- Exercise independent judgment in job planning and in fabricating, installing, testing, adjusting, troubleshooting, repairing and rebuilding equipment, systems, or parts with regard to safety, quality and cost.
- Diagnose causes of piping and equipment failure and initiates corrective action. This includes working with technical resources, operations, and others to safely accomplish tasks within time and budget constraints.
- Repairs, fabricates, and installs piping and structural steel in accordance with approved API methods and codes.
- Creates sketches, specifies pipe materials for specific internal codes, measures, cuts, threads, and installs steam, air, and water piping.
- Makes repairs to industrial plumbing systems, lift station pumps, drains, and facilities as needed.
- Document work through the plant’s work order system.
- Ensures operation of machinery by completing preventive maintenance requirements on heat exchangers, pumps, and production machines; follows diagrams, sketches, manufacturer’s instructions, and engineering specifications.
- Follow ISO 9001 policies and procedures in the performance and responsibilities outlined in the job description. Follow all company environmental, health and safety programs, policies, regulations and requirements.
- Attend monthly safety meetings and participate in safety events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty promptly and satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Candidates must be capable of working independently to solve common equipment and/ or process problems.
- Proficient knowledge and experience with maintaining steam and water piping.
- Advanced rigging skills preferred.
- Must be able to safely work at a moderate pace and occasionally work at a rapid pace.
- Ability to multitask, work independently with minimum supervision, work well in a team environment with diverse groups.
- Experience performing a job safety analysis and equipment lockout safety procedures.
- Ability to wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including respirators, safety-toed shoes, safety glasses, hearing protection, gloves, hard hat, etc.)
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED), plus four (4) years of progressively responsible journeyman-level pipefitting experience, or completion of NCCER certification.
- Technical certification from an accredited program within mechanical trades is a plus.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, blueprints, and procedure manuals.
- Good oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to thoroughly understand and follow complex work procedures.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide with units of measure, using whole numbers, common functions, and decimals.
- Experience with SAP or equivalent Manufacturing Operations work order software preferred.
- Basic experience with Microsoft Office Suite – Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Good analytical skills are necessary to troubleshoot mechanical equipment issues.
- Strong self-starting mind-set and excellent teamwork skills are a must.
Glatfelter offers a robust benefit package, including medical, dental, vision insurance, paid time off, and an enhanced 401K.
Old Hickory is situated just a few short miles southwest of the Cumberland River and located approximately 16 miles northeast of downtown Nashville. Outdoor enthusiasts will be particularly drawn to this area because of its convenient river access and encompassing beautiful natural areas- perfect for hunting, fishing, boating, hiking and camping. The nearby Greenway Trails are also over 100 miles of family and dog friendly paths that range in length from a short 10- to 15-minute walk to 10 miles or more. Most are located on or near waterways all over Davidson County. All of the greenways are mostly flat, paved paths, but they all offer different experiences: Some include history, some have sweeping Cumberland River riverscapes, some offer downtown views, some have babbling creeks and primitive trails, and some feature playgrounds, dog parks and other amenities.
Additionally- the lively and music saturated scene of Downtown Nashville is just a 20-minute commute. However, Old Hickory residents also are nicely situated between Hermitage and Madison, TN- both of which offer numerous eating establishments, pubs, shopping and events closer to home.
If you are interested in this role, please apply on Glatfelter’s website to be considered. Please do not reach out to executives or individuals directly. Thank you.