Located in Nashville, Tennessee, the Process Engineer provides resources for the Sontara and TWIG operations focusing on improved manufacturing efficiencies, innovation, product quality and cost improvement. This position is responsible for driving improvements in production and converting operations. Activities include defining optimal operating conditions, reducing process variabilities, identifying root causes for issues and waste and designing corrective actions. The position potentially will work with manufacturing, converting, CAPEX engineering, quality, suppliers and customers.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Evaluates current operational processes to identify opportunities for improvements in production flow, equipment processing, process controls to deliver quality and product integrity.
- Develops plans to maintain and improve operations to expand capabilities, improving cost and quality.
- Applies lean manufacturing concepts to improve operational efficiency.
- Instructs and facilitates the use of problem-solving techniques & tools ranging from trend charting, formalized problem solving, standard operating practices, designed experiments to statistical process control.
- Establish support for the continuous improvement effort on-site. This includes the coordination of the continuous improvement efforts, the development of Team based projects, and the support of all necessary reporting functions.
- Directs and coordinates various programs essential to manufacturing procedures (e.g., safety, quality, productivity, training, 5S, cost reduction, Team Member involvement, security, morale, etc.).
- Reviews and analyzes production, quality control, maintenance, and operational reports to determine opportunities for improvements, and delivering solutions to achieve these improvements.
- Implements SPC throughout the manufacturing process where appropriate and feasible.
- Actively leads and participates in Continuous Improvement and Lean process. Incorporates Continuous Improvement and Lean methodology into the manufacturing systems and operations.
- Provides cross coordination of activity with other Glatfelter Facilities when possible.
- Must know ISO procedures relating to job and follow said procedures.
- Proposes and supports development of CAPEX justification for new projects.
- Develops Standardized Work for defined Processes and assist with training of Team Members.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- B.A. / B.S. in engineering, preference for mechanical.
- Desire focus in nonwovens, converting, or web handling.
- Non-woven, roll goods and converting experience desired.
- 2 to 5 years of manufacturing operations, program management, waste reduction efforts.
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing and Continuous Improvement Principles.
- Exposure/training in DMAIC methodology and statistical process control.
- Strong problem-solving skills: Root cause analysis and corrective actions.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience in using logic, statistics, designed experiments to evaluate problems and issues.
- Expertise in MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Able to travel domestically and internationally.
- Decision making – improved quality and quantity of decisions. Follow through on ideas.
- Leadership skills including direction, delegation, control, and follow up.
- Adaptability – Modify plans and actions in light of changing circumstances.
- Interpersonal relations – Respond sensitively to the needs and feelings of others, regardless of their status. Contribute to positive team building within department and overall company.
- Oral communication: Able to present concepts, ideas to a range of audiences. Listening to key data, perceptions, ideas and concerns. Organize issues, plans and actions in a concise, logical manner.
- written communication: Prioritize issues, solutions and contingencies with clarity, supported by data in comprehensible terms. Grammar and vocabulary should be appropriate for all audiences.
- 40% Office
- 60% Manufacturing Floor
- Constant communication with employees, peers, and management
- Overtime as required
Health and Safety Responsibilities:
- Must work in accordance with Health and Safety regulations, Company Rules, Plant Rules, policies and procedures
- Must use or wear equipment, protective devices or certain clothing as required by the company
If you are interested in this role, please apply on Glatfelter’s website to be considered. Please do not reach out to executives or individuals directly. Thank you.