Located in Old Hickory, Tennessee the Production Operator is responsible for safe and continuous Sontara line operations to include monitoring the process, administrative tasks, shipping/receiving, fiber prep, washer, airlays, inspecting, grading and wrapping of finished product, and the cleansing of water used in the Sontara process.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs administrative tasks: Schedules vacations, determines overtime requirements, performs inventory control through log usage sheets and computer data, inspects/grades finished product, and conducts housekeeping and safety inspections.
- Monitors the Sontara process through use of computer systems examples include: VXLL, Measurex, and Plexus. Determines whether to adjust, start or stop equipment or processes according to correct operating limits and cost effectiveness.
- Identifies and provides training for new and less experienced operators.
- Performs mechanical tasks to include minor line repairs and assembly/disassembly of washer jets.
- Continually troubleshoots and problem solves processes and equipment to maintain quality standards. Identifies, corrects, and/or prevents operational difficulties, conducts patrols and adheres to standard operating conditions (SOC) sheet; acknowledges and responds to system alarms, performs visual inspections of equipment and takes corrective action when necessary.
- Responsible for startup or shutdown of each phase of the line in a safe and efficient manner. Insures safe and proper lockout of electrical and mechanical equipment before release to maintenance through isolation and verification of energy sources.
- Monitor systems, processes, and equipment to include fiber prep, penthouse, airlay, washer, windup and wrapper. Make necessary adjustments per SOC when required.
- Performs duties during emergency situations. Follows procedures and established guidelines to maintain or restart operations safely and efficiently.
- Responsible for safe and efficient operation and maintenance of light industrial machinery to include Hysters, automatic guides vehicles (AGV’s) and tuggers during the transportation of materials and finished product.
- Diverts, starts, or shuts down the flower of fiber, steam, or water used in the Sontara process.
- Performs preventative maintenance. Cleans or changes screens, jets, upper plenium filter (UPF’s), brushes and filters to insure production within established quality standards.
- Changes process variables (including core alignment) or settings according to SOC or product specifications.
- Insures proper water treatment and distribution. Operates valves, pumps, screw pressures, and washer sumps. Mixes and directs the flow of various chemical additives (polymer, clay and perlites) to insure adequate supply of clean water used in the Sontara
- Performs other duties as needed upon request of immediate supervisor
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months of related experience and/or training
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Communicate needs to maintenance, Manufacturing ATOs, and other personnel that need to know.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide with units of measure, using whole numbers, common functions, and decimals.
- SPFA – Sontara Production Floor Application or similar MRP systems
If you are interested in this role, please apply on Glatfelter’s website to be considered. Please do not reach out to executives or individuals directly. Thank you.