Located in Old Hickory, TN, Glatfelter is seeking a Staff Accountant responsible for assisting the Controller with timely and accurate period closes, with a particular emphasis on account reconciliations, using judgment to determine appropriate accounting treatment under US GAAP. This position is expected to be able to take the initiative to identify issues of concern and devise solutions under general supervision. The person selected will be expected to be able to take on increasing responsibility as the Finance department and the company’s needs grow. This position reports to the Plant Controller.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepares, examines, and analyzes accounting records, financial statements, or other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
- Conduct month end closing process including P&L variance and budget to actual analysis for BS and P&L.
- Review data and documents to prepare journal entries and other postings into SAP. Enter and post entries in SAP.
- Complete Balance Sheet Reconciliations monthly and review with Controller.
- Supports the department in the preparation of information requested by the external auditors when requested.
- Responds timely to ad-hoc requests from Management as needed.
- Provides general support to the business and direct support as requested.
- Perform monthly bank statement reconciliations and maintain cash accounts for multiple companies including posting monthly activity for cash received, checks written, fees, interest and other various deductions and credits.
- Prepare intercompany entries, post entries and reconcile balances with other entities at month end.
- Reconcile company credit card receipts with statements. Accrue open items at month-end and follow-up on outstanding transactions.
- Process Sales and Use tax returns including maintaining required documentation.
- Collaborates with other departments (Procurement, HR, IT) to improve and standardize processes.
- Provides assistance to all company departments as requested.
- Ensure compliance with GAAP principles, SOX requirements, and company policies.
- Identifies areas for process improvement, develops potential solutions, and implements improvements independently, or seeks appropriate approvals to do so when necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience:
- 3-5 years’ experience in accounting, preferably manufacturing industry.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA) in accounting, finance, or related field.
- Strong understanding of journal entries, reconciliations, financial statements, t-accounts, intercompany transactions, accruals, and amortization.
- Strong experience in Microsoft Excel required.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Good organizational, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in SAP is preferred.
- 10% Standing/Walking
- 90% Office
- Requires an individual to sit, use hands and fingers, handle or feel, talk, hear and use of close and distant vision.
If you are interested in this role, please apply on Glatfelter’s website to be considered. Please do not reach out to executives or individuals directly. Thank you.